For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-14

Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Thankful for Friday...and friends!

I know I have been less than faithful to keep this blog updated, life has been just a constant blur it seems. Last night I was challenged by a dear blog friend (and I don't even think she realizes that she challenged me...thanks Christine) to take a few minutes every few days to write here and try to focus on some of the "blessings" in my days. It is SO easy to get caught up in the day to day, the stresses, the struggles, the tasks at hand, the need to do's and forget to see the blessings that are given daily. Not just the big ones, but the small ones too! So, here's my thankful list for this Friday....

  • When I woke up this AM the birds were chirping and singing...spring must be close at hand.
  • The reminder of a sweet boy that is now with Jesus, when the snow fell earlier this week here...Luke LOVED the snow. In the midst of my complaining, I saw a post on Facebook by his mama that reminded me that this snow, while not in my plan, would have made Luke's day!
  • My hard working husband that does all he can to provide for our needs, works long hours, drives for hours every day to get to and from work all because he takes his roll as provider for this family very seriously. He is a blessing beyond anything I could have asked for! 
  • Our chickens that have been giving us SO many wonderful eggs after months of nothing. 
  • The incubator in my laundry room with 10 eggs in it that should hatch (if all goes well) in just over a week. It's our first try with a reliable incubator and we are praying it works out well! 
  • My kids that never cease to amaze me at what they are able to learn, and do! 
  • My oldest son, Anthony and his willingness to serve our country....even if it does mean he will be FAR from home for nearly a year. 
  • Rachael, Anthony's girlfriend, she is such a good fit for my boy and we are SO happy to have her as part of our family! We love her as much as if she were born into it....since she wasn't, we'll just love her into it. :) 
  • My new Tattler canning lids....amazing, reusable and will pay for themselves in no time! Canned with them for the first time this week (some garbanzo beans and some potatoes....more on that later) and I LOVE them! 
I could go on and on, we are blessed, but it's time to get Brandon to the bus and get my morning really started. Later, I'll update more and add pictures too. :) Lots of news to share, updates to give and tips to share. It's been a long several months and I've missed blogging! I'm back...are you happy?! 

7 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Oooh, if your chicks hatch, please post pictures!! :) We're hoping that our eggs will hatch tomorrow. We've got 8 in there that are for sure fetile and growing. I'm hoping that at least 6 hatch. I know that's expecting a lot but a gal can hope can't she? :)

Unknown said...

Oh, you can BET I'll share pictures! What kind of incubator do you have? I have to say I was a bit disappointing when we opened the box our incubator came in and discovered it is made out of Styrofoam. I guess if it works, that is what counts, but I worry about it holding up. I hope your eggs ALL hatch...if you are going to hope, hope big! :) Post pictures of yours when they hatch too. We love babies!

~Kristin~ said...

Very blessed indeed.
And yes, very happy that you are back.
And....our friends have a styrofoam incub. that has worked wonderfully for them.
Good luck and please share!
XO

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Valerie,
It's a "Little Giant" and it is styrofoam as well. It works wonderfully. It's actually a loaned one from a friend but if I were ever to buy one, I'd buy the same one. I saw the model at a feed store last Tuesday for $47. They also had an automatic egg turner that goes in that model for another $47. If I were going to be incubating eggs again, I'd get the egg turner. It turns them 4 times a day- every 6 hours. Which beats my haphazard turning at morning, noon and evening. One thing that I would absolutely reccomend you get is this: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_005W955584110001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-101789046-2
It works much better than the little thermometer that the incubator comes with and it also show humidity levels- which is a bonus! Plus, it allows you to easily see the temp inside the incubator since it can sit out on your counter...or in your bedroom...or wherever.
Sorry that this was so long! I'll post pictures on my MHQ Facebook page when all of the chicks have hatched. So far it looks as though all of the eggs have signs of cracking with the exception of 2. If I got 6 out of 8 I'd be tickled!

Unknown said...

That's a good idea using the extra thermometer! I might have to invest in one of those if this works. We bought the egg turner when we bought the incubator and I am SO glad we did! I would not want to do all of the egg turning on my own. :) Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into that for next time. Good luck on your egg hatching. Can't wait to see them!

momoflots said...

I AM glad you are back too!! You are right - I had NO idea I challenged you :)!! You are very blessed to be able to grow your flock - I want new baby chicks but our coop won't fit any more hens. Plus - being a suburban farmer hahaha - we are kinda breaking the law by having 9 chickens - we are really only allowed three sshhh - don't tell. Next year I think it will be time to freshen our flock and then we'll get to enjoy those adorable balls of fluff! I also LOVE the bird song in the mornings. They are saying nicer weather this weekend - will you be getting it too? I hope they are right - we'll be getting our new strawberry bed made if it's not dumping rain or snow on us!! I hope you get the sunshine and can get some Vitamin D soaked up too :)

Blessings Valerie - I am so glad we are back sharing our lives!!
~Christine

Mountain Home Quilts said...

O.k., I'm in suspense!! Any news of the hatching?

Post a Comment