For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-14

Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

A baby changes everything...

Are you feeling like time is just flying by? Perhaps feeling overwhelmed by all that needs to be done before Christmas? That is EXACTLY how I have been feeling, all the while knowing that I didn't want to feel that way. That I wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the season. Oh sure, I've had a few moments here and there where I allowed myself that simple pleasure. Then I'd realize that my "To do list" was backing up and I was, once again, behind!

What a horrible cycle to be caught in. Then I read a wonderful blog post from Christine at Joy of 8 that reminded me that there are more important things to focus on. Call it my "Duh" moment. I KNOW all of this...nothing she said was "new" to me. WHY do we let the daily life, the "important" tasks of this life get in the way of what our hearts know to be true? That, I don't know, but once in a while we all need the reminder of the "why" of the season and the "who" of the season.

It's not about the tree, the decorations, the hustle and bustle of the shopping malls and department stores. It's not even the cutting line at the fabric store or the yard that is waiting to be knitted into something wonderful for someone wonderful. It's not the candy and goodies that everyone associates with the Christmas season.

It IS about the savior that came to bring hope and light to this dark world. His coming did not promise an easy road, but hope at the end of it, a promise of a heavenly home with him at the end of our journey. This season is a celebration of this baby's coming, Jesus birth brought about a change in history like no other!

I have often thought about how Mary must have felt. Did she truly grasp the weight of her roll in history? Did she truly understand that this little baby would change the world? I've been blessed to have given birth to four children. Looking back, when I looked into that new little face after they were born, I could not even fathom how their lives would be, how they would grow and mature. I like to think that Mary KNEW that this baby would change the world.

Having a baby changes your life, having a baby that you know will grow up to be the savior of the world would be an incredibly overwhelming feeling, I think. Don't you? Perhaps she really didn't understand the whole extent of her roll in this little baby's life. I don't know, but that is one of many questions I can't wait to ask when I get to heaven. :)

Merry Christmas and remember to celebrate the true meaning of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment