For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-14

Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Homeschooling....learning what you never learned in school.

Ever have one of those days that you wish you could go back and learn something when your brain was young and new things just came easier? Oh my! My second oldest son is now a 10th grader and we are working on math through the summer...long story...this week, we started Geometry. First off, let me say, that when I was in school I never made it past Algebra 1. I took economics and other classes to fulfill my math requirements for graduation. Math and I were never very close friends. I liked the idea of being good at math, but it just never came to be. Well, learning geometry at almost 40 is a challenge, let me tell you!

Today we have struggled with Venn diagrams and understanding the different symbols that go along with them. Understanding concepts in math is not something that comes easily to me, but I "get" how this works. Explaining it to my 15 year old son is another matter. He HATES showing his work, and that is something that I am requiring so that I KNOW he knows how he got his answer and so that I can help him get past mistakes he may make in finding the answers. Oh, what a struggle. :)

All in all, I am enjoying it. I always "wanted" to take higher math, but never dreamed I'd be learning it because I am trying to teach my son. :) Funny how God uses things like this to help to grow us. Thankfully I have a wonderful friend that I can call when I am really stuck. She is also teaching her son and math has always come easily for her. YAY! Yet another blessing. :) My son and I will get this, we will learn geometry and be ready to move onto Algebra 2 later this next year. I am confident of that fact. How we'll get there is beyond me at times, but we will. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment